We have moved...




Click here to be redirected to the new SAV Portal.
13 February 2013


Christmas is a time of year that many people look forward to. The lights at prime locations around Singapore are a sight to behold. Not to mention the familiar tunes of Christmas carols at the shopping malls, restaurants and even on a flight I was on in December. To top this spirit of Christmas going all around, I was also able to get time off work. 

I soon find myself planning my days and my activities. I was browsing the internet for places to eat when I thought, 'hey, why not do something a little different this time.' I searched for charity events during the Christmas period and that led me to The Salvation Army's website. 


I decided to give ‘kettling’ a go. I arrived at my location, put on my Christmas hat, the apron that was provided, grabbed a handful of lollipops and put them into the pockets, picked up the bell and started ringing. 

The responses I received were all so different. Some people just walked by, some returned my greeting while some avoided eye-contact with me. But what was best of all was that some came forward and donated. I was glad to see parents handing money to their children, and encouraging them to drop the notes into the kettle. There was one man, who donated straight away, and came back again shortly afterwards to donate again.

This was my first ‘kettling’ experience, and it was nice. It brings out the spirit of giving. Passers-by donate by giving of their money, while ‘kettlers’ serve by manning the kettles and encouraging the act of helping the needy. It made me realize that no charitable act is too small to make a difference in someone's life and being able to contribute in making someone's life a little better made Christmas even more meaningful for me. 


Anna Lee



Article and photo published with permission from Ms Anna Lee.

0 comments: